Got Bed Bugs?
Have you heard about the scourge of bed bugs infiltrating Paris these days? Unfortunately these problems can also exist in the greater Boise area. Getting rid of bed bugs is not an easy problem to solve. If you discover you have them, and need to move your belongings, it's essential to take precautions to prevent the spread of bed bugs to your new location. Bed bugs are notoriously good at hitchhiking on clothing, furniture, and other items, so careful planning and execution are necessary.
Here's how a mover can help you in this situation:
- Inspection: Before moving your belongings, consider hiring a pest control professional to inspect your current residence for bed bugs. This will help ensure that you are not inadvertently bringing the infestation with you to your new location.
- Bed Bug Treatment: If bed bugs are detected, it's important to treat your current home or apartment for bed bugs before moving. This might involve chemical treatments, heat treatments, or a combination of both, depending on the severity of the infestation. A pest control professional can advise you on the best course of action.
- Packing and Disposal: A professional moving company can assist in properly packing and labeling your belongings. This is crucial to prevent bed bugs from spreading during the move. They can help you decide what to keep and what to discard, as some items might be infested and not worth saving.
- Encapsulation: For certain items like mattresses and box springs, professional movers can encapsulate them in special bed bug-proof covers. This will help prevent any bed bugs from escaping during the move.
- Isolation and Quarantine: It's a good idea to keep your packed belongings isolated and away from your living areas to prevent potential bed bug spread. A professional mover can assist with this by offering temporary storage solutions, such as storage units that are designed to prevent the spread of bed bugs.
- Heat Treatment: Professional fumigation services can offer heat treatment services for your belongings to kill any potential bed bugs and their eggs. This can be an effective way to ensure that your belongings are bed bug-free before being transported to your new location.
- Inspection at the New Location: Once your belongings have been moved to your new residence, consider having your pest control professional inspect the new space for any signs of bed bugs. This is especially important if you are moving into an apartment building or a shared housing situation.
- Preventive Measures: Work with a pest control expert to implement preventive measures in your new home to reduce the risk of a bed bug infestation. If you do find that you need to have your home fumigated, have your moving company help you pack up items such as food, plants and other things that will not safely survive the fumigation. You may also need to trim plants around your house in order to provide access to a fumigation tent if needed. Make sure to also unplug gas lines or any electronic equipment that could be affected. Lastly, find a place to stay while you will need to be out of your house.
It's essential to communicate openly with your chosen moving company and pest control professionals to ensure that they are aware of your bed bug situation and can take appropriate precautions. Local movers are often familiar with the unique pest challenges in your area and can provide other ideas to help simplify the process. Remember that bed bug infestations can be challenging to deal with, and it's crucial to be thorough and proactive in your approach to prevent their spread.
The team at Cross Town Movers is happy to provide advice for any situations that may be unique to your move. Please give us a call at (208)378-0226 or Request a Free Estimate. We look forward to hearing from you.